The term cerebral palsy is a broad term for multiple conditions that share in common that there is a non-progressive disorder of power, movement or posture due to damange of the immature brain.
- A non progressive disorder of power, movment or posture due to damage of the immature brain
- Patients may have a wide range of cognitive ability: ranging from completely normal cognition to severe cognitive disability. It is non-progressive.
Investigations to consider:
EEG if history of seizures
Other tests to determine aetiology or assess comorbidities:
- Tests for inborn errors of metabolism
- Infectious agents tests
Consider antispasticity treatment:
- Diazepam, baclofen or dantrolene orally
- Consider botulinum toxin
- Consider selective posterior rhizotomy
Consider surgical release of contractures