Here we include website updates about developments on this website, and some recommendations of tools for website development in general.
Website development recommendations:
I am not an expert web-developer. But here are recommendations for website development etc: [disclaimer: I am an affiliate of some of these resources and may get a commission for referrals if you sign up after clicking through our link; at no extra cost to you. I use all the resources I recommend on this website or others.]
- Domain registrar: namecheap.com is an excellent registrar that I have used and recommend. They are professional, honest and in-expensive. They are much better than other registrars I have used. I highly recommend them!
- Web hosting service: veerotech.net is a great web hosting service. In fact, Learningneurology.com is now hosted here.
- Content management system: WordPress is easy to use and fairly versatile (GPLv2 license, so it is free to use). LearningNeurology.com is currently managed using WordPress.
- Other website/internet/software we use/like:
Website updates log:
October 14, 2018:
- Updated many things on the back-end to categorize diseases as posts to allow better user experience.
December 17, 2017:
- Updated start page for easy navigation and clear organization.
- Removed piwik for page use tracking.
November 19, 2017:
- Updated approach to CT head page and uploaded images.
October 1, 2017:
- Restarted google adsense account to generate revenue to keep the site going. Website still remains unlinked to googleanalytics.
- Updated Neuroscience notes links and pages. Removed some obsolete notes.
- Correction to MR C spine label.
December 10, 2016:
- Changed from googleanalytics to Piwik to support more privacy, and to support use of free/libre software.
November 12, 2016:
- Updated approach to MRI spine with cervical spine and thoracic spine images.
August 29, 2016:
- Added normal muscle pathology slides to neuropathology notes.
August 24, 2016:
- Added leukodystrophies and other metabolic conditions.
August 23, 2016:
- Milstone reached: >450 disease and neurological conditions on www.learningneurology.com website
- Added the majority of myopathies.
August 15, 2016:
- Milstone reached: >400 disease and neurological conditions on www.learningneurology.com website
- Added the majority of neuropathies.
August 15, 2016:
- Updated localization section for neuromuscular disease patterns, autonomic neuropathy, myopathies, and neuromuscular junction disorders.
- Updated approach to brain MRI.
August 4, 2016:
- Finally some time to work on the website again….
- Added polyneuropathy, small fibre neuropathy pages.
- Updated menu navigation.
May 12, 2016:
- Added basic normal MRI images (unlabeled and labeled) to MRI brain approach section.
April 12, 2016:
- Added links to many individual disease from “approaches to” “neurological presentations” section.
April 6, 2016:
- Milstone reached: >400 pages on www.learningneurology.com website
April 3, 2016:
- Milstone reached: >300 disease and neurological conditions on www.learningneurology.com website
- Added >50 pages. Updated myelopathies, dementias and many central nervous system disorders
March 31, 2016:
- Milstone reached: >300 pages on www.learningneurology.com website
- Updated many epilepsy disorders, sleep disorders
March 18, 2016:
- Added the individual disorders for neuroncology and related conditions
March 10, 2016:
- Completed the addition of the individual movement disorders, headaches and most of the cerebrovascular disease to neurological diseases database
- Milestone reached: >200 pages on www.learningneurology.com website
February 21, 2016:
- Added many pages of diseases including aneurysms, CADASIL, moyamoya syndrome, anoxic brain injury and others
- Milestone reached: 100 pages on www.learningneurology.com website
February 20, 2016:
- The main sections and initial enteries for the “Presentations/approach to neurological problems” is complete
- Added Approach to diplopia, added Approach to visual defects
- Added Neurophysiology diagnostic tests: EEG, NCS/EMG, evoked potentials, autonomic function testing, polysomnography,
January 19, 2016:
- Added Approach to transient (paroxysmal) focal deficits, and added Approach to Movement disorders
January 18, 2016:
- Added Approach to acute confusion “altered mental status”, and added Approach to Sensory Deficits
- Added Diagnostic tests section, and Treatment section
January 12, 2016:
- First correction from a reader! A typo was caught on one of the “approaches” pages
January 8, 2016:
- Added Approach to Coma article
January 6, 2016:
- Website back up and running. Transferred to a new web-host
December 29, 2015:
- Completed section on 10 common diseases to learn first
December 28, 2015:
- Added more diseases
December 25, 2015:
- Added Neurological Disease section
- Added some articles to Neurological Presentations
December 18, 2015:
- Added Neurological Presentations section
December 17, 2015:
- Website first launched
- Added notes from off-line study material to the website
December 8, 2015:
- Off-line work began to create the website, including basic layout
Before December, 2015:
- My notes and study aids were off line in word documents, power point presentations and text files. Late 2015 I decided to start this website to house and share my notes. I had a trial with another website before launching this one.