Clinical features plus antibodies and negative investigations for neoplastic disease
Subacute impairment, seizures, temporal lobe seizures & hallucinations,
Findings on Investigations:
- VGKC, voltage-gated potassium channels (Kv1) antibodies:
- These are positive in patients with limbic encephalitis, Morovan’s syndrome. These have differnet targets.
- Lgi1: leucine-rich, glioma inactivated 1 protein, a subtype of VGKC found in limbic encephalitis.
- Caspr2: contactin-associated protein-antibody-2, a subtype of VGKC found in Morovan’s syndrome
- anti-NMDA receptor antibodies
MRI: may show medial temporal lobe FLAIR hyperintensity & enhancement